How To Export Google Mail (gmail)
Last week the question was asked by one of our clients if he could forward pertinent Google emails in a case to us.
Immediate answer: Noooooooo!
It is VERY important in understanding how to handle email data so that you don't create evidentiary problems with the data.
After backing away from the ledge, I explained how to properly export Google emails so that we could import into a review platform.
Here's how it is done:
- Go to http://www.google.com/takeout
- Uncheck DESELECT ALL
- Scroll down to Mail and check the box
- Scroll to the bottom and click on NEXT STEP button
- At the CREATE A NEW EXPORT screen, you can keep the default options
- Click on CREATE EXPORT button
- You will receive a message that "Google is creating a copy of files from Mail" and it could take hours or days to complete. (When I did my own it took a couple of hours)
- When you receive the email, click on the button to DOWNLOAD YOUR FILES
- A .zip file will be downloaded to your computer
- Browse to the location of the download and drill down to the .mbox
- The .mbox file will need to be provided to your Litigation Technology Specialist to import into an applicable review platform for you.